Envirogrower Delivering Large UAE Irrigation ProjectTue, 26 Mar 2013
Envirogrower has formed an alliance with Advanced Science and Innovation Company (ASIC) a conglomerate member of the Royal Group in Abu Dhabi. The alliance is delivering this important project that is for the creation of new habitat for the native bustard (bird) the Houbara. This pilot project involves the design and project management of the installation of irrigation, seeds and plants over 36 hectares in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi. This project is Stage 1(pilot project) of a total project comprising 890 hectares of new habitat for the endangered species of native bird, the Houbara.
The total project area covers 20 separate sites. These sites range in size from 18 hectares to 98 hectares that combine to make up the total 890 hectares. The key outcomes that Stage 1 of the project will deliver are:
- Provide new habitat for the Houbara (food & breeding)
- Significantly reduce water usage and cost to government and protect UAE’s diminishing water aquifers
- Improve plant growth with ‘continuous slow release’ sub-surface irrigation, while meeting the Abu Dhabi government’s new water use standards
- Improve the life span of irrigation network and reduce repair and maintenance costs
- Implement irrigation and infrastructure systems that are sympathetic to the natural desert environment (all irrigation is subsurface, tanks will be underground and the desalination plants will be hidden by trees or dunes)
- Increase the existing Houbara habitat in the UAE
- Implement a remote monitoring system, to allow full visibility of the systems health accessible anywhere, any time.
Stage 1 includes the preparation for the remaining 19 sites of the overall project comprising planning, design, detailed scoping for remote monitoring system, desalination plants, underground water storage, and the supervision of the works.
The Royal Group is a large corporate conglomerate of around 70 companies based in Abu Dhabi and employing more than 15,000 staff. The group covers a diverse range of activities including construction, property development and investment, technology, manufacturing and retail.